Sunday, September 2, 2007

Harvest Time!

Here we are, the end of another growing season. I look so forward to this time of year, yet dread it at the same time.

We have been blessed with a bountious garden this year. Our neighbors are probably getting sick of cucumbers, sqaush and tomatoes.

Last week I cleared out the onions and picked lots of green beans, peppers, sqaush and tomatoes to share.












This weekend we tackled the tomatoes. We enlisted out kids to pick tomatoes and greenbeans. We set up outside to prep for spaghetti sauce. Next, I moved the show inside to prep for salsa.




The total work from yesterday amounted to 14 quarts of spaghetti sauce, 27 pints of salsa (HOT!!), 6 quarts of tomatoes and lots of dried tomatoes.













We have already put up beets, green beans, sqaush and jams - not to mention all the fresh produce we have consumed this summer. Yes, it's a lot of work. However, it is a labor of love.














Those that know Carp well know that he is a man of many breads. Carp made Bialys today for us to enjoy. They are scrumptious. They are kind of like a bagel with onions, poppy seeds and olive oil on them. Ahhhhhh, drool!

4 comments:

i'm erin. said...

Ummmm...how do I get on the recieving end of that crazy yummy lookin' carp bread? HOly cow! That harvest was quite the beauty for me too. I have still been using the peppers for salsa. I have made a fresh round of salsa every 2-3 days. Thanks a lot.

Unknown said...

Wow, your veggies and fruits look amazing! I'll have to get some gardening secrets from you. :-)
The bread looked delicious too.

Carterista said...

Man alive, Kelly!! You are the QUEEN! Your garden is spectacular. LOVE the photos, especially the pumpkin and grape photo. When can we get together? I'll bring pasta and tortilla chips...
And Carp! The bread looks fabulous!!

tammy said...

Kellie--I'm going to rip the pumpkin/grape photo from your blog, claim it as my own, take it to Macey's and get an 8x10, frame it, put it in my wall, and tell everyone that those beauties came from my garden. Then maybe I can forget the utter, all-encompassing, grevious dissapointment that was my garden this year. Thanks, I know you won't mind......