Monday, March 23, 2009

Diary of a Pinewood Derby Car

Dear Diary,


Today I have been sheathed and unsheathed several times by a curious boy. He takes me out of the comfort of my box to handle me and stare to only put me back in and close me up once again. I like him. I wish he would just let me hang out - outside my box that is.

**********
Dear Diary,

Today I was outside my box for most the day. In fact, I had quite the field trip with a little girl. I was almost convinced she should be my creator until she shoved me in a basket and piled clothes all over me. It wasn't so bad at first. However, something furry and big started moving around in the same basket with me. My panic left me stiff with fear until the thing jumped out. I was grateful when a big person found me in the basket and placed me back in the safety of my box. I hope they find my wheels soon.

**********

Dear Diary,

Today was a special day. The boy who tries to keep track of me has transformed me into the most amazing car. He did all the work himself. I've heard of cars being created by big people or cars created by boys with aggressive help from big people. I was so excited to find that I would be created by him and only him. I could feel the creative juices pumping through his hands as he formed and shaped me to his liking. He looks at me in such a brotherly way. He loves his creation. I love him back. I hope his mom remembers to buy that paint he keeps reminding her about.




Dear Diary,

I am almost complete! I received a healthy coat of orange paint today. My boy was so excited to almost have me done he could barely wait 10 minutes after covering me with paint to put my wheels on (thank goodness he kept track of those four essential parts!) He got paint on his hands, but he didn't care. It's the same paint that covers my body. We are now bonded. We are "paint brothers."
*********

Dear Diary,

Today is the big day. We have the race tonight and my boy found his way to me as soon as school was over. He is trying out all kinds of ways to add to my weight. He is worried I am not heavy enough. He has settled on some quarters and nickels that he is going to tape to my car body. I hope I don't let him down tonight. I love him. He is so nice to me.

**********
Dear Diary,

We won! We won the "Sportiest Car" award. Almost everyone passed me on the track, but my boy didn't care. He was just happy to have some fun. He had a great cheer team to give him support. I am so grateful to have a wonderful, creative and fun boy to hang with for the rest of my car years. I will always remember this night.
Cheer team: Ammy, Shelby, and Kami with Nathan.

Congratulations on the "Sportiest Car Award" Nathan. Good Job!

6 comments:

Shauna said...

Way to go! Good job, sportiest car, for your thoughts here. I love that Nathan did the work himself. That is the best!

Peggy Eddleman said...

Kellie-- What a fun, creative post! I loved the way you told the story! You are way too cool.

Congrats, Nathan! That's one AWESOME car. I'm impressed you did it all by yourself. You da man!!

Ella said...

I second that you da man!!! Awesome job from one car award winner to another great job.I also second the creative post ! you should get an award for that!

Sherry said...

Dear Diary....

I have the funnest mom EVER. She let me paint the coolest piece of wood and turn it into a CAR and add things to it to make it heavy and paint it my favorite color and she cheered me and my car on while it was racing down the track and she doesn't even care that I let my sentences run on and on and on with no punctuation like this one. I love my mom SO much no wonder she has so many friends and they are cool friends too.

The Boy

kellieanne said...

Dear Diary,

I think Nathan's mom is cool because she has cool friends. Of course, some are cooler than others . . . like the one that has that funny last name that rhymes with plunder ants.

Carterista said...

What a fun read, Kellie!