Friday, February 29, 2008

Winter - Real Winter


It's been a long spell since we've had an actual winter - the kind in which it's cold and the snow actually stays around into February. It's a blessing.

However, I don't like snow.








Okay, there are nice things about snow. Snow is pretty to watch falling from the sky. I love how snow dresses trees and shubs up - don't they look lovely in white? Also, there is something serene about untouched snow in my yard. I love how clean and pristine it looks. A part of me kind of cringes when the kids tromp on it. I enjoy the sparkle affect the sun makes when it bounces off a blanket of snow. And let's not forget snowflakes. How cool are they?!?!

BUT - Snow is cold. I can enjoy all of the above as long as I am warmly nestled into a quilt in my front room, in a heated home with new energy efficient windows. No, I don't ski. Yes, I've tried it and I really don't enjoy it. No, I don't snowshoe (though I did get a pair of snowshoes from Carp for Christmas one year.) I don't like to walk in it, play in it, DRIVE in it, or stand in it. Yet, this years snow is a blessing.

A blessing of snow. The snow we have received will help water my lawn and garden this spring and summer. It will help others do the same. It will help us keep beautiful yards and healthy gardens. I just have to keep reminding my self of this fact. Therefore, snow is the price we pay in winter for our enjoyment in summer.

I just wish it wasn't so cold.



My kids don't seem to mind it. A couple weeks ago they split into teams and made snow forts. Afterward, they had a snowball fight. Now, why can't I just do something like that? Find the good in it. Well, it's cold.







2 comments:

Carterista said...

Yeah, it's cold, but I love the crisp air (when it's not all inversiony, that is.) Plus it smell kinda good, like after it rains. If you get yourself some good snowpants...

Peggy Eddleman said...

Love your pictures, Kellie! And I totally agree about the snow. And more importantly, THE COLD! Maybe that's what I'm missing to be loving it more than hating it- acting like a kid in it.