Wednesday, March 5, 2008

In Memory of Carson Amos Mellott Sr.

Have you ever heard the name of a family member or friend that you haven't seen for a while and thought, "I've got to give them a call and see how they are doing," or "I should take the time to stop by and see so and so."

Sometimes it is hard to know what is most important to spend our time on. I think everyone agrees that spending time with our family should be the top priority. Kids and husband - those alone take up a lot of my time and without regret. What time I have left I divvy out between extended family, working at the schools, church responsibilities, friends, hobbies and so forth. We are all busy with whatever it is that we chose to spend our time on.

Carp's grandfather recently passed away. We were able to visit with him during the 4th of July holiday. Carp and I had last seen him at J.J.'s funeral in 2004. The kids had not seen him for even longer than that. With the distance between us Carp often picked up the phone to call Pappy Mellott and others in his family. He has always been good about trying to keep in touch with those he cares about.

When we received a call from Carp's mom to let us know that Pappy had passed away, my first thought was of Iris, his wife. My next thought was how grateful I was that our family had the blessing of seeing him one more time before he was gone.


I'm not really much of a goal maker. However, I have one that I really am going to try and improve in my life. I want to make sure my crazy, wonderful life doesn't drown out that prompting to visit and call those I care about. It's easy to lose sight of important things like that when I am sooooooo very busy. I just don't want to regret not following through on a thought only to find out the opportunity is gone.

Carp was able to attend the funeral and visit with siblings and cousins. We will miss you Pappy.

Wayne Jr., Judy, Geneen, Colleen, Carp with Troy in Front.

(Back) Heather, Troy, Wayne Jr., Judy, Geneen, and Colleen.
(Front) Angela, Jeff, Kathy, and Carp.

Obituary:
Carson A. Mellott, Sr. died January 16, 2008 at Spring Creek Nursing Home, Harrisburg. Born April 1, 1919 in Lancaster, he was the oldest son of Amos and Silvia Mellott. He was a long-time employee and retiree of RCA, working in the Lancaster and Moscow, PA plants. Carson was one of the founding partners of Mellott Brothers Trailer Sales of Willow Street, along with his brothers, Glenn and Larry. He was a charter member of the Lone Pine Hunting Camp in Potter County and a long-time member of the United Church of Christ in Willow Street. He was also a member of the Elks club of Florida and the VFW in Millersville. He was preceded in death by his first wife, Violet (Dolly) Mellott; brother Larry; son Carson II; and daughter Joyce. He is survived by his wife, Iris Mellott, in Harrisburg; his son, Rodney, in Florida; stepchildren, Patricia and Zach in PA and Paul in North Carolina; 16 grandchildren; and 30 great grandchildren. A memorial service will be held Saturday, January 26, at 1 PM at the Willow Street United Church of Christ, 2723 Willow Street Pike, Willow Street. In lieu of flowers, contributions in Carson's memory may be made to the Alzheimer's Assn., 3544 N. Progress Ave., Suite 205, Harrisburg, PA 17110-9638.

3 comments:

Peggy Eddleman said...

That's so great you were able to see Pappy before he passed away. I hope everyone is doing okay. And thanks for giving me a little reminder of what really is important in life!

Shelby said...

KELLIE--This as a great blog! Very meaningful. You have great family connections with Carson's family.

Carterista said...

I'm glad to were able to visit Pappy so recently. No one likes to live with regret, so thanks for the reminder.