Friday, March 7, 2008

Why I like the Boy Scouts of America Program

I am not a scouter. There are many of you out there that are. I count my blessings there are adults willing to participate in scouting. I am grateful for those who have a desire to work with the youth of today. With that said, I have no aspiration whatsoever to earn a bead, a patch or any type of recognition ever in the BSA. But I like and support the scouting program and here is why.

1. BSA teaches my boys to make goals. Sure we talk about goals in our home. Sometimes we set them together as a family. What I like about the BSA is the structure it gives to boys to work on goals that have the steps already outlines for them. Rank Advancement and Merit Badges have cut and dry requirements for the boys to meet in order to earn a badge. This shows our guys how important it is to break down a goal into sub goals so the realization is doable.

2. Along with the goal-setting attribute, BSA progressively hands the goal making and goal planning process over to the boy. By the time a teenage boy starts to plan out his Eagle Project, he has had lots of practice reaching milestones. At this point in his scouting career, he is asked to set his own goals according to his own aspirations. As shocked as I was, I have seen it work. Scouting has helped my sons do things I didn't think they could do on their own.

3. BSA helps teenage boys feel like they belong to something important. Belonging to a program or a purpose gives focus to an individual and a feeling of worth. Scouting starts early in our house with Tiger Cubs. The boys move from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts effortlessly. The desire to participate seems to be in their blood - their father's side, no doubt. I owe a debt of gratitude for leaders that have followed through with their commitments to the scouting program and to my sons. A good scout leader is indispensable for a good experience in scouting. Thank you to all those whom have helped my boys and are still working with them.

4. An active Boy Scout is busy. The movie "Follow Me Boys" is the best example of why young men need to be busy. A boy who is active is less likely to participate in boy-related bloopers. Being involved in scouting does not make them immune to the affects of teenage stupidity. However, a good scout leader can redirect the wilds and silliness of teenagers by keeping a young mans hands busy. Busy hands are happy hands.

5. A Boy Scout is asked to stretch himself beyond his comfort zone. There are lots of activities the kids do that they enjoy. Occasionally there are some that they don't like or maybe they are a bit skeptical about. I have seen the kids push themselves to do things or try something new because other scouts were excited to do it. Boys Scouts give our young men experience in life.

These and many other things about scouting help me to appreciate this great program. I hope others will reap benefits from it also.

Seth is currently working on the Climbing Merit Badge.

Seth Climbing.

Carp and Carson went along to help out. Here is a picture of Carson belaying.

2 comments:

i'm erin. said...

umm...I will tell you why I like boyscouts (this is of course how I felt 10 years ago and not now, you know now that I am an adult); I like boy scouts because of hottie cute boys that are clean cut and in uniforms! YAH BOY SCOUTS ROCK!

Of course that was how I felt many years ago, when I was the same age as the boy scouts, of course I feel differently now...so I second all that you have said.

Carterista said...

Wow! I love your new page! Did you figure it out or did Erin help you? I need to find a way to lure her to my house...

I am not a scouter, either. Although somehow in High School I got to be a lucky driver for a scout expedition to a Rainforest Waterfall. I'm not sure why it was allowed, but it sure was fun as I was the only girl and got LOTS of attention.

Anyway, I hope someone awesome (not me) will be doing a great job with the program when Logan is in it.