Friday, November 7, 2008

Ode To A Fallen Tree

Ode To A Fallen Tree

As an oddity you joined my life,
Immediately sewing seeds of strife.
Dropping fruit not fit to eat,
Rotting squish beneath my feet.

Fermenting smells drifting through my door,
It was hard to keep up - it was a chore!
To gather the apples you've discarded,
Without love they were brokenhearted.

In their gloom they gave up their guts,
transforming to mush, driving me nuts!
Alas, there is no more fruit to fall,
but no worries, I won't bawl.

We sawed and cut and then discarded,
your limbs, your leaves and in the end, applauded.
No more rotten stink to offend the nose,
no mushy yuck between my toes.

To run in our yard without dead limps leering,
tromping on rotten apples accumulating.
Farwell to our old apple tree we bade,
I sincerely will miss all your shade.

The huge apple tree was taller than my house. Now, that's unnatural. Many of the limbs were dead.

The limbs may have started to die before we moved into our home 7 years ago, but I know for sure they have been dying off every year since. It is sad to see it go. However, sometime dirty deeds have to be done.

5 things I am grateful for:

1. The imagination of all my favorite authors - especially my new favorite - Brandon Sanderson.
2. My knowledge of the gospel of Jesus Christ and to honestly know it's right and true.
3. Guitar Hero. It's an innocent addiction - one that I don't want to kick.
4. Girls Night. I don't know which one of you chicas out there decided to start that, but I so need it in my life.
5. Photos. I can't imagine a world without images to spark a memory and invite a smile.

4 comments:

Shelby said...

Love your sweet poetry skills! I guess you'll have to start some new shade....

Amy said...

Kellie, you are just too awesome.

Carterista said...

I am grateful for friends who can write awesome poetry for me to savor.

Peggy Eddleman said...

That. Was. AWESOME! We have an apple tree that we feel the same way about. So, your poem extra resonated with me! Very well done.