Tuesday, November 11, 2008

What you can do with a roll or two of packaging tape

Seth is taking a sculpture class at his junior high. His class did sculptures of people in different positions made out of packaging tape. I noticed them around the school the other day. Some of the life size sculptures were sitting on a bench or leaning over the top of the lockers and in lots of different places around the school. They were totally awesome.


Seth's group consisted of 3 girls and him. They used their own bodies to make the sculptures. For instance, one of the girls allowed her hand to be wrapped to form the hands for their sculpture and another let them use her legs. None of the girls wanted their head to get wrapped so Seth let them do it to him. What a good sport.

The reason I found the sculpture of his group so interesting was because of the subject they decided to portray. They made a vampire.


You know I love a good vampire story! Well, remember how the kids displayed their sculptures around the school? Seth's group were asked to remove theirs. Apparently you can't display things that show blood at school! I can totally see where the school is coming from, but I had a good laugh about it.

Come on! Isn't this totally cool? Check out the red tissue paper that goes down the throat. That is imagination! There is even blood on the teeth! I totally digged this!

None of the girls wanted to take the sculpture home so Seth got to keep it. You can just imagine the perplexed look on my face when I was driving home and passed him hauling this under one arm while trying to ride and steer his scooter on his way home from school. I pulled over and helped Seth ram the life sized vampire into the trunk of my little white car. That was weird. I felt like I was breaking the law somehow. Oh well.

Maybe some mothers might find it morbid that their kid decided to make a vampire sculpture with blood represented in such an obvious manner. But - I have to say I am very proud of his vampire. It sure made a good display on Halloween night!

5 Things I am grateful for:

1. That I can share interests with my kids. Vampires aside, I love to play Guitar Hero with them, go on Harts runs with them and watch Stargate with them. These are our current interests - they are ever changing and welcomed.

2. For kids that are just kids. I drove up tonight and stopped the car to listen to the end of a song on the radio. While I was listening, Nathan opened the window drape that hangs in our shower and proceeded to start drawing on the steam covered windows. It just made me giggle.

3. The bounty of food I am blessed with. I never have to struggle to feed my family, except when I am just to lazy to figure out what to make. There is alway food in my home.

4. My general good health. I have aches and pains - SURPRISE! I am getting older. However, they are not life threatening and do not keep me from doing anything.

5. Sleep. I am getting to the point that I might just be able to count on sleeping though the night. For the most part, my kids stay in bed at night. It's just my stupid internal clock that can be wacky sometimes.

10 comments:

Kristine said...

Ha ha ha! That is a funny story! Good job on the Vamp!

Sherry said...

You should take it with you to the Twilight premiere and sit beside him......it......I bet you won't have to worry about anyone else sitting too close to you. :) Now THAT would make me giggle!!!

Shauna said...

I love the creativity! And I definitely love your 5 things to be thankful for...I follow along adding my 5 in my head. Thanks for helping me set better priorities.

:) Shauna

Peggy Eddleman said...

That is one of the coolest things I have EVER seen! I love the attention to detail... those fingers are great! What a fun project for that teacher to have them do. That sounds like a remember-for-the-rest-of-your-life kind of class. Awesome!

And, as always, I love your thankful list!

Nicholle said...

Very cool Seth!

Carterista said...

I don't 'get' how they did it. Is it hollow? Wouldn't the tape have stuck to their skin? More details, please. I must have one! :-)

kellieanne said...

Seth said they did sticky side up and then went back and did the sticky side down. Then they cut it off and taped it up again into the form of the vampire.

Shelby said...

Haha! Schools and their silly rules.....what are you going to do with the critter? You could name him "Not Me" and everyone in the house could blame things on him.....plus, he wouldnt eat much!

JoMamma said...

The vampire is awesome, and what a great decoration to have for halloween. The schools loss is your gain.

Also I love your list there are so many things that I take for granted

Amy said...

Hey Seth, that is totally awesome!!! Anne Rice would be proud too.