Wednesday, July 9, 2008

In Memory of Evelyn D. Kendig

It's no secret that part of the reason I married Carp is because his family is so awesome. Really, they are fun and enjoyable people to be around. A big part of that is because of those whose lives have already ended in this mortal existence. In April we said goodbye to one of the kindest, most sweet natured woman I have ever known - Carp's grandmother Evelyn D. Kendig.

July 4th, 2007 Everett, PA

We got a call on Easter that Nan Kendig had taken a tumble and broke her hip. Later that week she had surgery and never really recovered from it. I could tell from the conversation with my father-in-law that she wasn't going to last too long. I could feel the anguish in his voice as he explained that she was heading down hill and he wasn't sure she would come back. Distance can really be a hinderance when you want to comfort someone.


Nan passed away a week later. Mom said she was okay with it because Nan had been talking about going home for quite some time. Nan once told me she wasn't scared of dying. She had worked out her views of life after death and was at peace with it. Letting others know that makes it easier to deal with her departure from this life.



Carp and I flew back to Pennsylvania for Nan's memorial service in May. As always it was a delight to see so many familiar faces and enjoy each others company. Carp's family is a blessing in my life.


Jack and Barb Kendig


Judy and Jeff Keller

During the memorial service people were asked to share their thoughts and feelings about Nan. We laughed and cried as friends and family shared their experiences of such a remarkable woman. The thoughts shared from great grandchildren were extra special.

I didn't stand to share any feeling I had bursting inside of me. I was having a hard time keeping my eyes clear. But I do want to share something she said to me once.

Pap Pap Kending was still alive and we were over at their home visiting. I don't remember how we got on the topic but I made a comment that I thought it was fun to see how much Nan and I had in common and how we enjoyed each other. And this is when she said one of the single most touching things I have ever heard from anyone. She put her hand on my knee and looked me strait in the eye and said, "You know, if I were younger and you were a little older we would have been best friends."

Maybe she said that to everyone. If she did, don't tell me because I like how special it made me feel. I knew there and then I wanted to be just like her as I grew older. I wanted to be kind and careful of what I say so I don't hurt others. I wanted to laugh when little kids said funny things or even if they were naughty. I want to attend special events with my family, celebrate holidays with friends and family and be in their pictures ( I love that Nan and Pap would smile for all the pictures I took.) I wanted to live a life that when I am older others will love me just as much as Nan was loved by me and so many other people. She was special and I will miss her.

4 comments:

Peggy Eddleman said...

Aw, Kellie! That was such a sweet post. It makes me wish I had known her! She even has a cool name. I'm happy for you that you got to go there for the funeral and to see so many great family members.

And 4 in a row? Yep, I think I'm addicted. ;-)

VidEoGaMes WitH SoMe lOve said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tammy said...

Amen. I have a long way to go to deserve the kind of respect you just paid to Nan.

Shauna said...

Kellie--
Nan sounds just lovely, and your tribute to her was so sweet. For what it is worth, I think you are well on your way to being like her. I love the friendships that can be made regardless of age or generation, but as family.